Week Two (March 9 – March 15)
This week we will be adorning one of those granny squares with our first applique.
Square 1 – Plum Fairy
With Grape Raisin:
1) Ch 11, (dc, hdc) in 3rd ch from hook, *sl st, (hdc, dc, hdc) in next*, repeat between ** 3 more times, sl st, sc in last. Continue around and hdc2tog, dc 5, hdc, 2 sc in last, ch 1, turn
2) Sc 2, hdc 7, ch 1, turn
3) Hdc in next, hdc 3, sc2tog, leave last two stitches unworked, ch 1, turn
4) Skip same, sc2tog, sc2tog, ch 2, turn
5) Dc 2, ch 3, turn
6) Sl st in same, sl st, ch 3, sl st into last sl st. Fasten off. Leave long tail for attaching to granny square later. Weave in short tail.
7) With dress RS facing, attach yarn in BLO in st indicated in photo below. Sc in same, sc 2 down the side in BLO, ch 5
8) Sl st into 2nd ch from hook, sc 3. Attach with sl st into side of last sc on dress (see arrow in photo below). Fasten off, leave long tail. Weave in short end.
9) With WS facing, attach yarn in FLO to other shoulder as shown on photo. In FLO, sc in same, sc 2 down the side of dress, ch 5
10) Sl st into 2nd ch from hook, sc 3, sl st into side of last sc on dress (as you did for Arm 1). Fasten off, leave long tail. Weave in short end.
11) With piece upside down and WS facing, attach yarn into stitch with hook, shown in photo below (the exact placement of the stitches into the dress are not critical…. Estimates are just fine), Ch 6
12) 2 sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc 4, sl st into next st on dress (the middle white circle). Sl st again, ch 6
13) 2 sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc 3, sl st into next st on dress (the left white circle in photo). Fasten off. Weave in ends.
14) Attach yarn to st indicated with an arrow on photo. Sl st into next (right in the ‘V’), sl st into next (opposite st from arrow), ch 1, turn
15) Sc into ‘V’ again, sl st. Fasten off. Weave in both ends.
16) MR, ch 2, dc 5 in ring, join to top of ch 2, tighten ring. Fasten off, leave a long tail. Weave in short end. Use the long tail and your needle to stitch head on to neck.
17) Start with a long beginning tail. Ch 15, sl st into 2nd ch from hook, sl st, sc 2, sl st, sc 2, hdc, sl st 3, sc, hdc, sl st, ch 4
18) Sl st in 2nd ch from hook, sl st, sc, sl st. Fasten off, leave long tail.
Use one of your long tail ends and needle to stitch hair piece onto head. Weave in end. You will use the other long tail end to attach head to granny square.
For Bows on Ponytails
Use ½ yard of Dusty Green for each bow. Tie them on, stitch them down. Trim ends.
19) For Lips – Using Pink Poodle and needle: Stitch on lips. Cut yarn and tie off in back.
20) For Eyes – Using Silver Blue and needle: Stitch on eyes. Next use black for pupils. Cut yarn and tie off in back.
With Dusty Green:
21) Ch 4. Fasten off, leave long tail. Position chain portion around bottom tip of foot and stitch down. Crisscross yarn tail around ankle. Fasten off, weave in ends.
With Grape Raisin:
22) Start with a long tail. Ch 11, sl st in 11th ch from hook, ch 1
23) Sc in same, sc 2, ch 1, turn
24) 2 sc in same, sc, 2 sc in last, ch 1, turn
25) Sc 5 across, ch 1, turn
26) Start in same and sc2tog, sc, sc2tog. Fasten off, leave long tail. Add a bow using Dusty Green. Now use first tail end to stitch handle to fairy’s hand. You’ll use the other long end to fasten purse down on granny square.
With Silver Blue:
27) Start with a long tail. Ch 8, dc in 3rd ch from hook, dc, hdc 3, 2 dc in last, ch 2, turn
28) Dc in same, tc, dc, sc, dc 2, sc, ch 5, turn
29) Sl st in 2nd chain from hook, hdc, dc, tc in last ch, skip 2, sl st 2, dc 2, (dc, tc) in next, ch 3, do not turn
30) Sl st in 2nd chain from hook, (tc, dc) in last (this will be in the top of the ch 3 from Step 29), hdc into base of last tc from Step 29 (see photo below), sl st 3 across top to the corner. Fasten off, leave a long tail.
Align your two wings as shown in photo below. Use one of the tail ends to stitch the wings together down the center.
Use another tail end to attach the wings to the back of the fairy.
You’ll be using the other 2 long yarn ends on the wings to fasten them to your granny square in a few minutes. First, use the long tail ends from each arm to stitch them down onto the wings.
Now with your tapestry needle, use all long tail ends to stitch fairy onto granny square.
Plum Fairy Applique is approximately 6½” tall by 5” wide.
How did you do? I’d love to see your progress! Share your photos on my Facebook Page!
See you next Fairy Tree Friday for Week Three (March 16 – March 22) Squares 2–10, & 12 🙂
Do you like fairys? I have two more fairy appliques listed in my Etsy shop! (One of them is used later in this CAL). You can also purchase the complete Fairy Tree Afghan pattern from my shop as well. 🙂